I encourage you to start your own production of compost. You will see it is a very rewarding activity; in a few days you observe how a waste considered annoying is composted premium for plants.
Warning: Last items in stock!
By buying this product you can collect up to 9 loyalty points. Your cart will total 9 points that can be converted into a voucher of 4,50 €.
Cash On Delivery Available
Up to 5 KG, only inside Spain
1. What is earthworm humus?
Earthworms eat plant debris, and excreting, their "droppings", becomes humus or vermicompost of great value for the gardener.
Is a blackish material, similar to coffee grounds texture, it does not smell, or perhaps forest mold, which is a pleasant aroma.
2. How does earthworm humus serves us?
It is added to the soil and produces many benefits, both soil and plants.
Sponge clay soils, matted.
It gives consistency to the sandy soil too loose.
It helps retain moisture in the soil.
Improves the porosity and aeration to the roots.
It's a great natural fertilizer. It provides the essential nutrients that plants need: nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, iron, sulfur, boron ... freeing them gradually.
4. Where do I put it?
You can install the vermicompost on the terrace, in the garden, on the balcony, in the kitchen, in the laundry room ... anywhere you want, because it produces no odor. The most convenient place will be close to the kitchen.
It should be in the shade. The sun kills worms as they not withstand temperatures above 35 ° C. They can also die of cold. Below + 5C, you must place it in a warm place. If you can not move, cover with something.
It must be protected of the rain so it is not flooded.
5. How do I start?
1. Soak the coconut fiber bar in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes.
2. Place a perforated base on the drip tray liquid.
3. Place the cardboard packaging on the perforated tray.
4. Spread half of coconut fiber evenly soaked cardboard (save the other half of coconut fiber). If you supply the worms with a bed of manure, fill needless with coconut fiber.
5. Burry in the bed of coconut you have done, approx. 250 gr. small pieces of plant debris.
6. Add the worms during the day, since being sensitive to light, they will be introduced to the inside.
7. Cover with damp sheets of paper or some grass.
8. Place the lid on the pan and keep the rest for later.
9. The worms once they have finished eating the remains of the first tray, go up through the second hole in search of food, leaving the compost ready to use in the first tray. Once the "humus" of the first tray, the empty stands above the compost is removed.
10. Each tray that you upload, you should put some humus tray down on the top. The worms need to find land between the trays to climb. If you do not, the remains decompose instead of being digested by earthworms before, and not to smell bad, but a stronger odor than usual.
6. What can the composter take?
The worms only eat soft material easily
• Remains of fruits and vegetables: fruit peel, leftover salad, etc.
• Remains of coffee, tea and tea bags, including paper without staples.
• human and animal hairs.
• Carton wet wet egg cup and paper, cutting paper on the deposited food.
• crushed egg shells.
• Strawberries, melons and sweet fruit in general are their favorite dish and what they like least citrus and bananas are also eaten when they have finished what they like.
The worms can grow and develop both a varied diet as if fed only coffee grounds, but it better be varied. You can watch what they like more or less.
It is highly advisable to grind the remains or give food into pieces to facilitate ingestion. Thus, vermicompost produce much earlier.
7. What if I can not toss the compost?
Input, all that is not organic matter, obviously.
The remains of the garden are used to normal garden compost as the worms only eat soft organic debris.
• Meat and fish do not like and produce odors.
• Dairy, bones and fatty foods, either.
• Do not throw diseased plants and fruits and lots of rotten vegetables.
• Not the ashes or sawdust from treated wood.
8. Do I have to irrigate?
Crop residues contain 75% water, but still will need to take a bucket of water every 15 days.
When you open the tap water them, by you will get a great liquid manure, you have to be diluted in three parts water to water the plants both indoors and outdoors
9. attracts insects?
The earthworm activity does not attract insects as long as you take care to bury the remains you provide them, covering them with paper, grass, etc ... Otherwise, fruit flies, which are harmless but may appear, are annoying.
The Fruit flies only when there are more remains of the worms can swallow. Try it you will not collect the remains of food and not return to them until they have not eaten before. Additionally, if you tapas with pieces of newspapers, plant debris or palm leaves seems not proliferate much.
Ants, aphids and other insects will be removed from the substrate if the humidity is high. If you notice the presence of these insects, you only have to add water
10. Produce bad odor?
No, it should never smell bad, on the contrary, a pleasant smell of damp forest. Anyway be aware they remove plant debris from time to time to avoid a lack of oxygen in some corner of vermicompost
11. How do I know if the worm compost is ready?
It will look very dark black or brown, spongy texture, it melts in your hands. The appearance is similar to that of ground coffee.
Depending on the amount of residues to be put, the compost may take one month or 3 made.